Friday, February 1, 2019

Veronika's Birthday

"Saturday is your birthday, Veronika," Mandy said. The dolls had all come to find Veronika to see about what to do to celebrate.


"We were thinking about having a party," Jolena said.


"Parties are fun," said Mariah. "Parties with cake and ice cream and presents and birthday cards."


"Thank you for thinking of me," Veronika said, "but I had a nice birthday party last year, a party with cake and ice cream and presents and birthday cards. I don't think I should have another party until all of my sisters and my brother have each had a party. Then it can be my turn again."


"But you have been out of your box a whole year since your party," Billy said. "We have to do something to celebrate."


Veronika thought for a minute. 

"I don't need presents. I have everything I need, Billy," Veronika said. "I have pretty clothes to dress up in."


"I have play clothes for winter."


"I have play clothes for summer."


"I have toys to play with and books to read."


"I have a warm bed to sleep in at night, and a roof to keep the rain from coming in."


"I have good food I can pretend to eat."


"I have a family to love."


"Not everyone has those things," Veronika went on, "and real people need to eat real food, not pretend. That gives me an idea! Here's what I would like for my birthday!" Veronika said. "What I would like for my birthday is for us to make up a bag of food for a real person who doesn't have a home and food. We can keep it in the car until we see someone who needs it."

"That's a great idea!" Charlotte exclaimed.


"That will be fun," said Billy.


"It will have to be food that doesn't spoil sitting in the car," suggested Mandy.


"Canned food keeps a long time," said Jolena, "but some cans need a can opener, so we will need one of those."


"Crackers and things in packages would be good," added Mariah.
"That's the idea!" said Veronika, "So on my birthday, I would like each of you to bring something that would be good to put in the bag. We can make it up and put it in the car. Then, when we're out driving around, and we see someone who needs it, we can pull over and give it to him or her."


"Can we make popcorn to eat while we work?" asked Billy.
"I think that's a good idea," agreed Veronika. "We can meet at 2:00 for our party."
Veronika's birthday was on Saturday. The dolls came together at 2:00, as planned. Each doll brought something. 
Jolena brought a can of tuna.


Mariah brought a can of green beans.


Charlotte brought a package of crackers with peanut butter.


Billy brought a can of black beans.


Mandy brought a bottle of water and a granola bar.


Veronika brought a can opener, a plastic fork and spoon, and a napkin.


The dolls arranged everything in a big bag so it would fit.


"I have one more thing to add," Veronika said. She held up a card. "It's a note that says, 'We made this for you because we care about you. Be well.'"


"That's a great idea," Mandy said.
The dolls put the note into the bag with the food and other things.
"I brought something extra," said Billy, putting a big bag onto the table. "We can keep this with the bag of food. Yesterday I saw a man sitting by the parking lot at the store. He had a dog with him. The dog was wearing the man's coat. The man probably shares his food with his dog, too. Dogs need dog food, not people food."


"That's a wonderful idea, Billy!" Charlotte cried. "We can keep the bag of dog food with the bag of people food, and if the person has a dog, we can give them food for the dog as well!"
When they had everything ready to go into the car, Veronika looked around. "I had a wonderful birthday last year," she said, "but I think this one has been even better. Thank you, everyone!"


Then they went to watch a movie together on the TV. Billy brought the popcorn.


Here are some other things that can go into a package for a real person in need:
bottles or cartons of juice or shelf-stable milk
packages of raisins or other dried fruit
packets of nuts
toothbrush and toothpaste
envelopes of wipes
a list of homeless shelters and soup kitchens
a pair of mittens, a hat or a space blanket
Can you think of anything else?


Cast--
Jolena: Götz Happy Kidz Lena in Aspen
Veronika: Götz Classic Kidz Vroni
Mandy: Götz Happy Kidz Katie 2015
Charlotte: Götz Happy Kidz Anna in Paris
Mariah: Götz Happy Kidz Mariah, "Chosen" from My Doll Best Friend
Billy: Götz Happy Kidz Lily of London

You can follow The Doll's Storybook here.
Do you have questions or comments for us? Would you like to order an autographed copy of one of our books? You can email us at thedollsstorybook@icloud.com.

Note: No dolls were harmed during production of this blog. All dolls shown are Götz Happy Kidz, Classic Kidz or Little Kidz. If you like these stories and are willing, please make a donation of any amount to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital or any organization that supports pediatric cancer research and treatment. We are not affiliated with St. Jude in any way other than these donations.

"The Doll's Storybook" is not affiliated with Gotz Dolls USA Inc. or Götz Puppenmanufaktur International GmbH.
Watch for the next story each Friday afternoon at 1:00 PM Pacific Time.

Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook, Emil: Stories from The Doll's StorybookClassic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook are available from BookBaby and other booksellers worldwide, such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble
Royalties (net proceeds) go to support pediatric cancer research and treatment. If you don't get free shipping elsewhere, buy from Book Baby. Half of the price goes to charity (specific information available upon request). Autographed copies of all three books are available from the author. (Multiple books to the same address have a discount on shipping.) To inquire, email thedollsstorybook@icloud.com.


Image on Mariah's yellow T-shirt used with permission, from Free To Be Kids, where human-size shirts with this image are available.

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/19832501/?claim=j3fj3mbb8kt">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Copyright ©2019, 2024 by Peggy Stuart

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, caring way to celebrate a birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely something I would have done if my mom would have not insisted on a birthday anyway. But we did paper drive and food boxes in camp fire girls, And I did trick or treat for UNICEF for three years(we filled 3 boxes each year) and hats and scarfs for homeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I did trick or treat for UNICEF too! It was fun and I knew, even then, that I was doing something "important."

      Delete
  3. So wonderful! I also write stories about our dolls for my granddaughter. Always with a message, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giving a birthday! A good idea, difficult for a child to apply but good for a reflection!

    ReplyDelete

Good Friends

The doorbell was ringing and there was tapping on the door, both at the same time!  Billy rushed to the door. It must be some kind of emerge...