Friday, June 12, 2020

Cats and Dogs

Freckles and Marmalade were looking out the window.



They were watching the dolls play hopscotch.



"What are they doing?" Marmalade asked.
"They're playing," Freckles replied. "They're pretending they have to do something difficult. It's how they learn."



"You mean like chasing a string and pretending it's a mouse?" Marmalade suggested. "That's how cats learn, too."



"Yes, but the dolls compete with each other to do it," Freckles said. "That's more like chasing a ball and trying to get it before Pierre does."



Marmalade looked at Freckles with pity. He would have rolled his eyes, but they are fixed and don't move. Why would you waste time trying to catch something someone else might get first? Marmalade thought dogs were strange. He decided to change the subject.



"I like the dolls," he said. "I especially like Mandy."



Freckles agreed. "Billy is my favorite, but I like them all," she said.



"We can count on them to feed us," Marmalade pointed out.
"They pet us when we come near," he added. "That feels good, and Mandy changes my litter box, so it doesn't get smelly."



"Yes," agreed Freckles. She really didn't understand the litter-box, but she realized it was important to Marmalade. "They are very nice dolls," she said. "They let me out into the backyard when I want to go."



"I like how they wait on me," Marmalade said. "I like how they give me what I want and what I need."



"That's good," agreed Freckles, "but I like that I'm useful to them. Pierre and I get the dolls out of the house for walks, because they know we need it," she added. "That's good for them, too."



Marmalade didn't think that was such an important job. "That's something they do for you," he pointed out.
"Maybe you're right," Freckles admitted, "but I bark at dolls and people when they pass the house, so our dolls know they are there. That's an important job," she said.



Marmalade wanted to roll his eyes again. (He really wished he could do that.) "I could hiss at them, if I wanted to," he said, "but I'm too important to waste time doing that. I need to keep my beautiful fur clean."
Freckles really thought cats were strange. "Don't you want to be useful?" she asked Marmalade.



"I don't have to be useful," he replied. "I keep toy mice from coming into the house, but I do it because it's fun."



"Don't you enjoy serving the dolls we live with?" Freckles asked.



"I don't need to serve them," Marmalade replied proudly, standing up straight so Freckles could see how wonderful he was. "They serve me! Besides, I'm decorative. My purpose is to be beautiful. I know, because I came with a tag that said,'for decorative purposes only.'"



Freckles thought for a moment. "I think if I had come with a tag, it would have said, 'to play with.'"



"Dogs are strange," Marmalade said.



"I'm glad I'm a dog," Freckles replied.



Marmalade thought for a moment. Then he said, "I'm glad you're a dog, too. Yup. It's good that you're a dog and not a cat."



Marmalade was happy being an only cat.


Cast--
Veronika: Götz Classic Kidz Vroni
Mandy: Götz Happy Kidz Katie 2015
Jolena: Götz Happy Kidz Lena in Aspen
Charlotte: Götz Happy Kidz Anna in Paris
Mariah: Götz Happy Kidz Mariah, "Chosen" from My Doll Best Friend
Billy: Götz Happy Kidz Lily at London
Emil: Götz Happy Kidz Emilia
Marmalade: Purrrfect Cats from KTL

Note: No dolls were harmed during production of this blog. All dolls shown are Götz Happy Kidz or Classic Kidz. If you like these stories and are willing, please make a donation of any amount to a charity that supports pediatric cancer, such as CURE Childhood CancerSt. Baldrick's Foundation or St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
"The Doll's Storybook" is not affiliated with Gotz Dolls USA Inc. or Götz Puppenmanufaktur International GmbH.
Watch for the next story each Friday afternoon at 2:00 PM Pacific Time.

Image on Mariah's yellow T-shirt used with permission with thanks, from Free To Be Kids, where human-size shirts with this image are available.


Like our Facebook page: The Doll's Storybook

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/19832501/?claim=j3fj3mbb8kt">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Copyright © 2020 by Peggy Stuart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friends

The doorbell was ringing and there was tapping on the door, both at the same time!  Billy rushed to the door. It must be some kind of emerge...