Friday, November 5, 2021

The Rescue

On a nice day not too long ago a boy doll named Joey was riding along the trail through the woods, when another doll knocked him off his bicycle. Joey went flying through the air into the ditch, as the other doll rode off on the bicycle.

Joey landed in the soft cushion of pine needles at the bottom of the ditch, so he wasn't hurt. Then he discovered that his special glasses were no longer on his head. Without his special glasses he couldn't see to find them. Joey's special glasses allowed him to hear as well as see, so they were very important. Dolls talk to each other in their heads, so he could hear their voices without his special glasses, but he couldn't hear any noises at all, so he wasn't safe. He felt around among the pine needles, but no glasses.

Joey lay there, worrying what to do. He was pretty sure his bicycle was gone, but he couldn't ride anyway, because all he could see was a blurry light around him, and he wouldn't hear a car if it came. And what if his special glasses were broken? What then?

Joey wanted to cry, but dolls can only pretend to cry, and if they could cry for real, it wouldn't be good for their eyes to get wet. It could make something called mold grow inside their heads,

Suddenly, Joey heard two dolls talking to each other. 

"Help!" Joey cried out to them.

"What's that?" one of the dolls said, as they stopped to look down into the ditch.

"Look," the other doll said. "There's a doll at the bottom of the ditch." 

The two dolls looked down into the ditch at Joey. They could see him sitting there, at the bottom of the ditch.

"Please help me!" Joey implored them.

"Come away," the first doll told the other. "He might have something catching."

"Dolls can't catch diseases," Joey cried out, but they didn't answer him. 

As Joey sat there in the ditch, he could hear the dolls' voices as they talked to each other. They were moving away. 

"Please!" he called out to them, but they were already gone. They hadn't heard him!

Again Joey wanted to cry. He felt around again for his special glasses, being careful not to put his body down where he hadn't felt yet, but no glasses!

Joey sat down again on the side of the ditch. He really wanted to cry now. He was afraid to move, because he might fall into a pit or trip over something, or he might step on his glasses and break them.

After sitting there for a few minutes, Joey thought he heard two dolls talking, and they were getting close. Maybe they were the ones who had been by before, and they had decided to help him after all!

As they got closer, however, he realized their voices were different, but maybe these dolls would help.

"Help!" he called out again.

These two dolls stopped and looked down into the ditch.

"Please," Joey implored, "help me!"

"Let's go," one of these dolls said to the other. "You can see he isn't hurt. His arms and legs and head are still attached. He must be just too lazy to climb out of the ditch by himself."

"You're probably right," the other doll said. "Dolls need to learn to stand up and move around on their own. If you help them stand up and climb out of a ditch, the next thing you know, they expect you to dress them and fix their hair!"

Then their voices grew fainter, as Joey stood up and shouted again, "Please! I can't see," he cried, but the voices were gone.

After only a few minutes that seemed like hours, Joey thought he heard humming. Someone else was coming! "Help!" he cried.

"Who are you?" asked a small voice. 

"I'm Joey, and I need help!" Joey replied. "Can you help me?"

"I just remembered," the voice said. "The girl I live with said it isn't a good idea to talk to strangers."

"Well," Joey agreed, "she's right, but I need help!"

"I hope you get it," the voice said.

Joey could tell from the voice that the doll was moving away.

"Don't go!" Joey cried out. "Maybe you can send help!" He waited a bit, but the voice was gone.

Joey stood there for what seemed like a long time. Every once in a while he would call out for help. He worried more than ever about what was going to happen to him, when he suddenly heard another small voice. "Hello?" it said. "Hello down there! Are you OK?"

Joey turned toward the voice. "I'm not hurt," Joey said, "but I need help!"

"What kind of help do you need?" the voice asked.

"I can't see without my special glasses," Joey explained. "Someone pushed me off my bicycle and took it, I think. I landed in this ditch. My special glasses fell off when I fell, and I can't see to look for them. If they're broken, I don't know how I will get home. I'm afraid to move, because I might step on them and break them. Can you help me?"

"You're a lot bigger than I am," the small voice said, "and I can't climb down there anyway, but I will try to help."

"I think I'm fine," Joey said. "I can walk, but I can't see, and I need to find my special glasses. I hope they aren't broken already. Do you see them anywhere?"

"Just stay where you are," the voice said, "and I will look around you." After a few seconds, the voice said, "I don't see any glasses near you, but there is a bush about two feet to your right. I can't see under it. Maybe your glasses are there."

Joey moved to his right until he felt the bush the small voice was talking about. He felt around on the ground under the bush. Nothing! 

"Check in the branches," the voice said. "When you made the bush move a bit, I think I saw something shiny that doesn't look like part of the bush. Try about a foot above the ground on the side of the bush that's closest to you," the small voice said.

Joey felt around in the bush about where he thought the voice meant and touched something. He felt something hard, thin and smooth. It did not feel like the bush!

He pulled it out. It was his special glasses! He recognized them by how they felt in his hands. If only they aren't broken!

Hands shaking, Joey carefully put on his special glasses. Then he gave a big sigh of relief! He could see and hear! He could see the clouds in the sky above him. He could see the sides of the ditch. He could hear the traffic on the road nearby. He could hear the wind in the trees. "They're OK!" he exclaimed. "I can get home now!"

Then Joey looked up to see who had helped him. He saw a very small girl doll looking down at him.

Climbing out of the ditch, Joey discovered that the very small girl doll was sitting in a wheelchair. "Hello!" he said.

"Hello!" the girl doll said.

When Joey was on his feet again, looking down at the doll who had helped him he said, "I don't know how to thank you! Other dolls came by, but they wouldn't help. I guess they didn't understand that just because I look OK doesn't mean I don't really need help."

The little girl doll laughed. (Well, actually, it was more of a snicker.) "I usually get the opposite," she said.

"Other dolls think because I'm little and use a wheelchair, I can't do anything! It's so annoying! It makes me want to stamp my little foot, if only I could do that!"

"You may be small, but you certainly did a lot more for me than anyone else did!" he told her. "My name is Joey."

"Glad to meet you," the little girl doll said as Joey stepped closer and the two dolls shook hands. "My name is Sam!"


"Now we have one more thing to do," Sam said to Joey. "We need to find a policeman and report your bicycle stolen!"




Cast--

First Doll: Götz Happy Kidz Lena in Aspen
Second Doll: Götz Happy Kidz Anna in Paris
Third Doll: Götz Happy Kidz Lily at London
Fourth Doll: Götz Happy Kidz Mariah, "Chosen" from My Doll Best Friend
Fifth Doll: Götz Little Kidz Springtime
Joey: Götz Happy Kidz Emilia
Sam: Götz Little Kidz Lotta

Based loosely on The Parable of the Good Samaritan, Luke 10: 30-37

You can follow The Doll's Storybook here.
Do you have questions or comments for us? Would you like to order an autographed copy of one of our books? You can email us at thedollsstorybook@icloud.com.

Note: No dolls were harmed during production of this blog. All dolls shown are Götz Happy Kidz, Classic Kidz or Little Kidz. If you like these stories and are willing, please make a donation of any amount to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital or any organization that supports pediatric cancer research and treatment. We are not affiliated with St. Jude in any way other than these donations.

"The Doll's Storybook" is not affiliated with Gotz Dolls USA Inc. or Götz Puppenmanufaktur International GmbH.
Watch for the next story each Friday afternoon at 1:00 PM Pacific Time.

Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook, Emil: Stories from The Doll's StorybookClassic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook are available from BookBaby and other booksellers worldwide, such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble
Royalties (net proceeds) go to support pediatric cancer research and treatment. If you don't get free shipping elsewhere, buy from Book Baby. Half of the price goes to charity (specific information available upon request). Autographed copies of all three books are available from the author. (Multiple books to the same address have a discount on shipping.) To inquire, email thedollsstorybook@icloud.com.


<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/19832501/?claim=j3fj3mbb8kt">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Copyright © 2021, 2024 by Peggy Stuart



1 comment:

  1. About those glasses: "I see, I see!" said the Blind man as he picked up the hammer and saw.

    ReplyDelete

On the Wing

"That was a butterfly," Jolena said. "I thought that creature was called a moth," Charlotte replied. "It looked jus...