Friday, February 3, 2023

Dolled Up

"Hi!" Pauly said to the doll who opened the front door. "I’m Pauly. Is Pippa here?"



"Silly!" Pippa exclaimed., as she closed the door after Pauly.  "I’m Pippa! You know me!"


"Pippa?" Pauly asked in surprise. "I didn’t recognize you. You look different."


"It’s because I got all dolled up for Veronika's party," Pippa explained.


"Mandy and Mariah washed my hair," Pippa said. "Then they rolled it up in curlers."


"I had to sleep in them."


"Then," Pippa continued, "they fixed my hair for me. They brushed it out and tied up the front with a ribbon. Do I look pretty?"


"Mandy said I looked like a famous country western singer," Pippa said.



"It’s different," Pauly agreed, "and I haven’t seen that dress before."


"The dress has a story," Pippa told him.



"The Writer ordered me a cute snowsuit for Christmas," Pippa told him, "but it wouldn’t get here in time. When I opened my present," she said, "there was a note that told me what I was getting. It was hard to wait, but I was so excited!"


"It came from a long way away, on the other side of the world, almost," Pippa explained. "It was made by a lady who lives in a country called Ukraine.(YOU-krayn). It took a long time to get here, but it came this week."


"That was good, because we finally got snow again. When it came, I put it on and wore it outside in the snow. It kept me nice and warm."


"But back to the dress," Pippa said. "I was telling you about the dress."


"In the same box as my new snowsuit," she said, "there was this dress."


"The Writer was as surprised as I was when we opened it! There was a card that said 'Thank you,' in the package."


"I’m the only doll it fits, so it’s mine!" Pippa exclaimed. "It was like getting an extra present!"


"I decided to wear it for Veronika's birthday party," Pippa said. "Isn’t it pretty?"


"Yes," Pauly agreed. 


He wondered if he needed to say more, but Pippa seemed satisfied, so he didn’t.


"How old is Veronika now?" Pauly asked, as the dolls walked down the hallway to the kitchen.


"We don’t know exactly," Pippa said. "We celebrate the day she came out of her shipping box at The Writer's house, February 2, six years ago."


"She lived with someone else before that." Pippa explained. "I think she came out of the factory about the same time as Mandy, so about two years before that. She says she spent a lot of time standing on a shelf, watching people. She learned a lot."


"Mandy stayed in her box for two years!" Pippa continued. "She says she spent that time thinking and figuring things out. She used her imagination to keep from being bored."


Pippa and Pauly found Mandy and Mariah in the dining room, trying to come up with a recipe for a cake The Writer had ingredients for.


Hi, Pauly!" Mariah said when she saw Pippa's friend.


"Jolena is skiing in Idaho," Pippa told him, "so Mandy and Mariah are trying to make the cake on their own."


"All the other dolls have taken Veronika to see a movie for her birthday," Mandy said.


"Do you need help baking the cake?" Pippa asked the older dolls.

"Thank you," Mariah replied, but two dolls are about all who can work on it at one time, and we would have to put a hairnet over your hair."


"We have to tie back out hair when we cook," Mandy said, "because you don’t want to get hair in the food, but you have…um…too much to tie back. Jolena always ties her hair back when she cooks."


"Why don’t we sit on the living room couch, then, and play cards while we wait?" Pippa suggested. "I’ll bring us a treat to pretend to eat."


Soon both of the smaller dolls were seated on the couch with the playing cards and a plate of little donuts.


"These are mini donuts," Pippa told her friend. "The Writer gets them in great big yellow boxes. I wonder why she needs so many, especially since we only pretend to eat them."


"Dog treats?" Pauly asked.

(Pauly could be right, but maybe someone else eats them, too. Who could that be?)

"So I was wondering," Pauly said. "We’re all dolls. How much hair do you have to have to be all dolled up?"


Maybe ask that country western singer? Open the cards, Pauly! It will be a while before the party.


Cast--
Veronika: Götz Classic Kidz Vroni
Mandy: Götz Happy Kidz Katie 2015
Jolena: Götz Happy Kidz Lena in Aspen
Mariah: Götz Happy Kidz Mariah, "Chosen" from My Doll Best Friend
Pippa: Götz Little Kidz Lotta
Pauly: Götz Little Kidz Paul

Snowsuit and dress from Nataliia Onishchenko on Etsy Sofia Doll Shop

You can follow The Doll's Storybook here.
Do you have questions or comments for us? Would you like to order an autographed copy of one of our books? You can email us at thedollsstorybook@icloud.com.

Note: No dolls were harmed during production of this blog. All dolls shown are Götz Happy Kidz, Classic Kidz or Little Kidz. If you like these stories and are willing, please make a donation of any amount to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital or any organization that supports pediatric cancer research and treatment. We are not affiliated with St. Jude in any way other than these donations.

"The Doll's Storybook" is not affiliated with Gotz Dolls USA Inc. or Götz Puppenmanufaktur International GmbH.
Watch for the next story each Friday afternoon at 1:00 PM Pacific Time.

Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook, Emil: Stories from The Doll's StorybookClassic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook are available from BookBaby and other booksellers worldwide, such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble
Royalties (net proceeds) go to support pediatric cancer research and treatment. If you don't get free shipping elsewhere, buy from Book Baby. Half of the price goes to charity (specific information available upon request). Autographed copies of all three books are available from the author. (Multiple books to the same address have a discount on shipping.) To inquire, email thedollsstorybook@icloud.com.


<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/19832501/?claim=j3fj3mbb8kt">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Copyright ©2023, 2024 by Peggy Stuart

No comments:

Post a Comment

On the Wing

"That was a butterfly," Jolena said. "I thought that creature was called a moth," Charlotte replied. "It looked jus...