Friday, October 2, 2020

The Interview

"Let's sit in the living room, Jolena," Mariah suggested. "That way you can be comfortable."

"I've never been interviewed before," Jolena said. "What do I do?"

"Just answer my questions," Mariah replied. "It's easy. You'll be fine."

The girls settled in on the couch.

Mariah had her notebook and pencil. She had already written down some questions she wanted to ask. "Let's get started," she said. "First, when did you realize you wanted to do aerials and slopestyle skiing?" she asked.

Jolena thought for a moment. "Well," she replied, "when I was in my box on the shelf in the warehouse, I noticed I was wearing ski clothes." She thought for a moment, as Mariah wrote. "Actually, I just noticed at first that I was very warmly dressed," she said. "I had on long underwear, waterproof pants, a warm jacket, heavy plastic boots, and mittens. My jacket had a hood. Then I saw that I had skis, ski poles, a ski mask and a helmet to protect my head, and I realized I was meant to be a skier."

Mariah carefully wrote as much as she could of what Jolena said. "So you didn't think about doing tricks on your skis right away?" she asked.

"No," Jolena replied. "I thought I was just going to ski for fun."

Mariah wrote all that down. "What made you think of doing tricks on your skis?" she asked then.

Jolena thought back.

"Well," Jolena said, after a moment, "I was on my way to this country. I could feel my box moving." Jolena paused and thought some more. "I remember it got very warm, and I was wishing for cooler clothes. I found out later that my box had been sent through through Florida on my way to Utah by mistake. It was May, and it was already warm there in Florida, but at the time I didn't know. All I knew was that I was uncomfortable, so I tried to take my mind off of it by thinking about what I could do on skis. I didn't really know, but it was good to think about all that nice, cold snow. I tried to imagine flying down the hill, and then in my mind, I was flying through the air!"

"What happened next?" Mariah urged.

"When they opened my box," Jolena said. "I found out I was in Utah and that I had three sisters. That was before you came to live with us, Mariah."

"That's right," Mariah said. "I arrived after the family moved to Oregon."

"Well," Jolena went on, "I found out that we lived close to the Utah Olympic Park, where they have ski jumps and bobsled runs, and that they had training in the summer. I got signed up right away!"

"Were you excited?" Mariah asked.

"Yes," Jolena said, "very excited, but it was hard work, too. I wanted to make the most of it, because I knew we were moving at the end of the summer, so this was my only chance. I was very tired when I came back from training each day."

"How did you train without snow?" Mariah asked. She knew that Utah didn't have snow in the summer except in the very highest mountains.

"That's very interesting," Jolena said. "You see, at the Utah Olympic Park, the big ski jumps are carpeted with special grass. Not real grass, but some kind of plastic. It lets the skis glide across the grass, so it feels just like skiing on snow."

Mariah's eyes would have widened, but they don't move, so she just looked intent.

"When you get to the bottom of the ski jump, you go flying through the air," Jolena explained. "Then you land in the pool. That's why I had to wear a bathing suit."

"The pool?" Mariah asked. "There's a pool?"

"Yes," Jolena said, "a pool at the bottom of the ski jumps. So you can do your tricks and land in the pool when you're practicing. So you don't get hurt."

Mariah continued to write as Jolena answered. "The pool had water in it, right?" Mariah asked then.

"Yes!" Jolena exclaimed. "It wouldn't have been very good empty."

"But didn't you get water in your eyes?" Mariah asked. "You could get silver eye!"

"That could happen," Jolena agreed, "only the dolls on the Doll Ski team who train in water have special ski masks that keep the water out, but I don't think dolls like us can get silver eye. We could fill up with water and sink, though, so they get us out of the water quickly."

"Was that all you did?" Mariah asked. "I mean, did you just go off and train on your skis every day?"

"No," Jolena said. "I got to know the other dolls in the family. We did stuff. We sat around and talked."


"One day," Jolena went on, "I decided I should start learning to dance. One of the trainers said that dance and gymnastics were good training for aerials and slopestyle skiers, so I started learning ballet. It was good for stretching, for one thing. 
It was also good for balance," Jolena went on.


"Now," Mariah said, "you have gone to South America two summers in a row, so you can ski and practice in real snow. What's that like?"

"Oh, it's wonderful!" Jolena exclaimed. " I get to spend a couple of weeks practicing all kinds of new tricks on real snow with other members of the US Doll's Ski Team and trainers. Last year we went to Argentina. This year we went to Chile. Both of those countries have mountains with great ski resorts, and now I'm learning Spanish."

"Do you always see the same dolls?" Mariah asked.

"A lot of the same dolls come each year," Jolena replied, "and we see each other at competitions, too."

"Have you won many medals?" Mariah asked then.

"Not yet," Jolena replied. "I've only been at it for a couple of years, and it takes a lot of training and practice, but I keep getting better, so I'm pleased."

"Yes," Mariah said. "That's how I am with my writing. Now tell me please what you think is the most important thing you have learned since you started skiing."

"I really like dancing," Jolena said, "but I'm happiest when I'm in the snow."


"I think," Jolena said finally  "whoever put those skis in my box with me knew what they were doing. I've learned that the people who work in the factory must be very smart."

"Well, I'm sure glad they did," Mariah said. "Skiing and doing tricks on your skis sure seems to make you happy. Now," she went on, "I have one more question: The first story in The Doll's Storybook was about you, so you sort of got the story blog started. Tell me how that happened."

Jolena thought back. It had been a long time, but it was very important, so she remembered it well. She just wanted to be sure she explained it correctly. "Mandy knitted me a blue dress," she said.

"I was wearing it," Jolena continued, "and sitting in the rocking chair on the front deck, eating some cottage cheese."

"The Writer's husband found a spider––a toy one," Jolena continued, "and gave it to The Writer. She put it on one of the posts for me to look at so I could pretend it was a real spider." 

"Then the story hit her," Jolena said. "I think that was how she put it, but I don't think it hurt. It doesn't hurt when a story hits you."

"So," Mariah exclaimed, "the stories started because of a spider!"


"This spider didn't spin a web; it spun a story!" Mariah added.

Cast--
Veronika: Götz Classic Kidz Vroni
Mandy: Götz Happy Kidz Katie 2015
Jolena: Götz Happy Kidz Lena in Aspen
Charlotte: Götz Happy Kidz Anna in Paris
Mariah: Götz Happy Kidz Mariah, "Chosen" from My Doll Best Friend

You can follow The Doll's Storybook here.
Do you have questions or comments for us? Would you like to order an autographed copy of one of our books? You can email us at thedollsstorybook@icloud.com.

Note: No dolls were harmed during production of this blog. All dolls shown are Götz Happy Kidz, Classic Kidz or Little Kidz. If you like these stories and are willing, please make a donation of any amount to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital or any organization that supports pediatric cancer research and treatment. We are not affiliated with St. Jude in any way other than these donations.

"The Doll's Storybook" is not affiliated with Gotz Dolls USA Inc. or Götz Puppenmanufaktur International GmbH.
Watch for the next story each Friday afternoon at 1:00 PM Pacific Time.

Mariah: Stories from The Doll's Storybook, Emil: Stories from The Doll's StorybookClassic Tales Retold: Stories from The Doll's Storybook and Our Favorite Verses: Poems from The Doll's Storybook are available from BookBaby and other booksellers worldwide, such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble
Royalties (net proceeds) go to support pediatric cancer research and treatment. If you don't get free shipping elsewhere, buy from Book Baby. Half of the price goes to charity (specific information available upon request). Autographed copies of all three books are available from the author. (Multiple books to the same address have a discount on shipping.) To inquire, email thedollsstorybook@icloud.com.


Image on Mariah's yellow T-shirt used with permission, from Free To Be Kids, where human-size shirts with this image are available.

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/19832501/?claim=j3fj3mbb8kt">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Copyright © 2020, 2023 by Peggy Stuart

1 comment:

  1. Ah a grand start to the Autum chapter of "The Doll's Storybook"! Always such realistic photographs and settings. Now a book has become a reality.... it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

On the Wing

"That was a butterfly," Jolena said. "I thought that creature was called a moth," Charlotte replied. "It looked jus...